The proposed Guildford Wind Farm is located in a remote part of the Waratah Wynyard Council area in Tasmania’s north-west. The area is currently used for commercial forestry plantation operations and has few neighbouring properties.
Epuron is investigating an area of Surrey Hills Estate, south of Burnie and east of Waratah, which appears suitable for wind energy generation for a number of reasons:
- A good wind resource, with strong wind speeds along the ridges. Monitoring is underway to confirm speeds and potential optimal locations for turbines.
- A wind farm would complement the existing land use of forestry plantation operations on the site.
- There are few inhabited properties nearby so the potential for impact to residences is low.
- There are high voltage (220kV) transmission lines in place to provide network connection.
- There is good access for transport via the Ridgley and Murchison Highways.
The project may be up to 80 wind turbines. If monitoring and testing confirms it as a suitable location Epuron would prepare a layout and start the planning approval process in consultation with the landowner and local community.